Personal Information that we collect from you
When you engage with us (e.g. by visiting the Website, making an enquiry, logging in to the Website, setting up a legal project for which funding is sought on the Website, filling in a form on the Website, making a payment, etc) you may provide, and/or we may collect, certain Personal Information. For example, this may include (but is not limited to):
- information that you provide by logging in or completing forms on the site, such as your name, email address, contact details, the details of your case or legal matter, information to verify your identity, and any other information or material you upload or submit on the site;
- details of any requests or transactions you make through the site;
- information about your activity on and interaction with the site, such as your IP address and the device or browser you use; or
- communications you send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem).
Some of this Personal Information is collected and processed so that we can provide you with our services (including, for example, crowdfunding services), some for the purpose of legal compliance, some for the purpose of performing identity verification checks and some for the purposes of our legitimate business interests (see "What we do with your Personal Information" below).
Personal Information that we receive from other sources
We may receive information from third parties who collect Personal Information from you and pass it on to us. Where this is the case, the third party is responsible for obtaining the relevant consents from you to ensure you are happy with the ways in which your Personal Information will be used. Alternatively, we may receive your Personal Information from someone who is using our services; for example, where an individual refers to you in a case page to raise money for a case. In such circumstances, the Case Owner must do so in line with our Terms.
Where you upload the Personal Information of a third party to the Website, you are responsible for obtaining explicit consent from that third party to the ways in which their Personal Information will be used.
What we do with your Personal Information
We will only collect and process your Personal Information: (a) in order to supply the products and services that you have requested and correspond with you; (b) to provide support to you in respect of these services; (d) to analyse and improve the use of our Website and services, and support and improve the browsing experience of visitors to the Website; and (e) for our internal business processes.
Where you have explicitly consented at the time we collect your Personal Information or where we have a right to do so, we may also use your Personal Information to let you know about products and services that may be of interest to you and/or inform you about important changes or developments to our services, by e-mail. We try to keep emails to a minimum and give you the ability to opt out when we can. We will send you emails relating to your personal transactions. You will also receive certain email notifications and marketing emails, from which you may opt out. We may send you service-related announcements on the rare occasions when it is necessary to do so.
How we share your Personal Information
We will never sell your personal information. We never post anything to your Facebook, Twitter, or other third-party accounts without your permission.
Where it is necessary for the performance of our contract with you or for our internal business processes, we may share your Personal Information with our suppliers, contractors and/or third party partners. This may include, for example:
- To employees or partners, to assist with any queries that you may have regarding the service and to allow us to provide our services;
- To partners involved in the processing of funds;
- To partners involved in the processing of identity verifications or compliance checks;
- To any entity that receives funds;
- To a law firm or legal representative that is working on a group or multi-party claim, where you submit information in respect of that claim;
- To owners of cases that you have supported; and
- When the owner of a case you have supported is a charity, we may disclose (with your consent) details such as your name, address and Gift Aid eligibility, so that the charity can claim Gift Aid in relation to your donation.
Our security and data retention measures, and any transfers we make outside the EEA
The Personal Information you provide to us will be transferred to and stored securely on Amazon Web Services servers, which employs its own physical and network security measures. Amazon Web Services data centers undergo annual certifications to ensure they meet the highest standards of physical and virtual security. You can find more information on AWS security practices at http://aws.amazon.com/security/.
We take steps to protect your Personal Information from unauthorised access and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage. We will only keep your Personal Information for as long as we reasonably require and, in any event, only for as long as the Data Protection Legislation allows.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and, although we will take steps to protect your information, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information transmitted via the Website; any transmission is therefore at your own risk.
Accessing and updating your Personal Information
You have the right to ask us not to process your Personal Information for marketing or research purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your Personal Information) if we intend to use your Personal Information for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your Personal Information to any third party for such purposes. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us using the details set out below.
You have the right to see the Personal Information we hold about you and to ask us to: (a) make any changes to ensure that any Personal Information we hold about you is accurate and up to date; (b) erase or stop processing any Personal Information we hold about you where there is no longer a legal ground for us to hold it; or (c) transfer any information we hold about you to a specified third party. If you wish to do this, please contact us using the details set out below.
Should you have any queries or complaints in relation to how we use your Personal Information, please contact us using the details set out below. Should you with to take any complaints or queries further, you have the right to contact the Information Commissioner's Office regarding such issues.
Our Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from third party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these websites or their related policies. Please check these policies before you submit any Personal Information via these websites.
A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than information about how you use the Website and the data you choose to share with us (including data you automatically share with us by way of your browser settings).
We may use aggregate information and statistics for the purposes of monitoring service usage in order to help us develop the Website and our service and may provide such anonymised aggregate information to third parties, for example content partners and advertisers. These statistics will not include information that can be used to identify you.
In particular, we use the following cookies:
- Essential cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our Website.
- Analytical/performance cookies. These cookies collect information about how visitors use our Website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. Information collected by these cookies is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It is only used to improve how the Website works.
- Communications cookies. These cookies save your settings across logins and help us track the performance of our communications and support. Information collected by these cookies is aggregated and therefore anonymous.
- Sharing cookies. These cookies allow you to interact with third party services such as Twitter, You Tube and LinkedIn.
- Advertising cookies. These are cookies used for advertisement targeting purposes and to track the performance of our online advertising.
You can also manage cookie use via your browser settings (this will allow you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies) and your browser provider may ask you to confirm your settings. Note, however, that if you block all cookies (including essential cookies) via your browser settings you may not be able to access all or parts of our Website.
You can find more information about the specific cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below. You can also find more information about cookies generally here: www.allaboutcookies.org.
|Site login||Legl uses a cookie to track whether you're logged into the Website.||2 weeks|
|Optimizely||Legl uses Optimizely to test content on the Website.||10 years|
|Google Analytics||Legl uses Google Analytics to track usage of the site and better understand user behaviour.||2 years|
|New Relic||Legl uses New Relic to monitor the performance of the Website.||Indefinite|
|Intercom||Legl uses Intercom to field and answer questions from users on the Website.||20 years|
|The Twitter cookie analyzes browsing activity to establish user profile and advertising platform.||2 years|
|The Facebook cookie analyzes browsing activity to establish user profile and advertising platform.||3 months|
|The LinkedIn cookie analyzes browsing activity to establish user profile and advertising platform.||2 years|
|AdRoll||Legl uses AdRoll to target adverts relevant to you.||1 year|
If you have questions or suggestions, or if you wish to contact us for any of the reasons set out above, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated 5 January 2022