Help me hold the government to account for Covid-19 care home deaths
Help me hold the government to account for Covid-19 care home deaths
This case is raising funds for its stretch target. Your pledge will be collected within the next 24-48 hours (and it only takes two minutes to pledge!)
Latest: July 11, 2020
Full claim filed; Boris Johnson’s misleading statements
Last Friday, 3 July, my lawyers filed my full legal claim in this case. Since then the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has continued to make misleading statements about the Government’s actions …Read more
My father was one of the thousands of vulnerable people who died in a care home during this pandemic. His death certificate says ‘probable COVID-19’ because he was not tested. The care home should have been a safe place, instead he was put at risk because of a government decision to discharge patients from hospitals with no regard for Coronavirus infection risk.
I am launching legal action to hold the government to account. To seek justice for my father, me and everyone affected by their actions. Please donate what you can and share this page far and wide on social media, via email and WhatsApp.
My father's story
My father became ill on March 14th and died on April 3rd. The home called me regularly with updates and I was able to go and see him through a window the night before he died. This was heart-breaking, it’s not how I imagined his last days would be. Although he had Alzheimer’s Disease, he still recognised me, I could see the love in his eyes. Thanks to lockdown, I had not seen him since the end of February and thanks to the virus in the care home I could not hold his hand and give him a smile near the end. I know the carers were wonderful and did their best to make him as comfortable as possible, but I am extremely angry that an ill-thought out policy has caused me, and thousands of others, so much anguish. I knew that losing my father would be tough, losing him in these circumstances is truly devastating.
Why was this allowed to happen?
On 19th May 2020 the London School of Economics estimated that 22,000 people in care homes lost their lives to COVID-19. These people, like my father, were the most vulnerable in our society. I believe that many of these deaths could have been avoided if the Government had acted to protect these people. Rather than protect them the Government made their care homes a death trap. Many care workers were also exposed to unacceptable and avoidable risks, and some have lost their lives.
On 15th May 2020 Matt Hancock, the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care made a public statement that “Right from the start its been clear that this horrible virus affects older people most. So right from the start we’ve tried to throw a protective ring around our care homes. “
However, this is simply not true.
On January 30th 2020, the World Health Organisation Emergency Committee declared that the outbreak of COVID-19 met the criteria for a Public Health Emergency of International Concern. However, in February 2020 the Secretary of State published Guidance which said , “ It is therefore very unlikely that anyone receiving care in a care home or the community will become infected…There is no need to do anything differently in any care setting at present. “ At this time at least 3 people had been diagnosed with COVID-19, one of whom was a super-spreader.
Shortly after this on 2nd March 2020 the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling reported that it was “highly likely that there is sustained transmission of COVID-19 in the UK at present. “
Despite the rapid spread of COVID-19 care homes were only advised on 2nd April 2020 that visits should not be permitted save in exceptional circumstances. Worst still, on 19th March 2020 the Secretary of State required the urgent discharge of patients from hospitals back into care homes without being tested for COVID-19. I believe this made care homes a death trap, exposing vulnerable people to a disease that could kill them. Their safe place became a dangerous place.
On 19th May 2020 Professor Martin Green, the Chief Executive of Care England gave evidence to the House of Commons Health and Social Care Committee in respect of ‘Management of the Coronavirus Outbreak’. He said:
“Given that the care homes are full of people with underlying health conditions, we should have looked at focusing on where the people at most risk were, rather than thinking about particular organisations, when we were prioritising where we put our energies“.
It is very clear that, whatever Matt Hancock may have said, the residents of care homes were not provided with a protective ring. He knew they were the most at risk and yet he issued a policy that exposed them to the risk of losing their lives. Many did. My father did.
What are we going to do about it?
My lawyers have written to the Secretary of State, NHS England and Public Health England pointing out their legal duty to protect life. My lawyers have requested that they accept responsibility for their unlawful conduct that has contributed to the death and serious illness of my father, patients, healthcare and care workers. If the proposed defendants refuse to accept responsibility then I will commence legal proceedings.
Please give what you can to help me bring this case on behalf of the most vulnerable in our society as well as the excellent workers who have been put at much greater risk.
Please donate to my campaign - any amount helps - and share this page far and wide on social media, via email and WhatsApp.
July 11, 2020
Full claim filed; Boris Johnson’s misleading statements
Last Friday, 3 July, my lawyers filed my full legal claim in this case. Since then the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has continued to make misleading statements about the Government’s actions in respect of care homes during the pandemic. In response to the Government’s continued refusal to face up to and acknowledge its gross mishandling of this crisis, I have decided to publish my claim in full. It can be viewed using the link here. [Click on the word 'here' and it will take you to the document in a new tab]
The claim itself is legally complex. But one thing it does do is set out the facts on how the Government failed care home residents and workers. In doing so, it throws into sharp relief how Boris Johnson’s recent statements on the Government’s handling of the pandemic have been misleading. I would like to take some of Boris Johnson’s recent statements and see how they stack up against the account given in my claim.
Misleading statement #1: “We discovered too many care homes didn’t really follow the procedures in the way that they could have” https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jul/07/care-home-chief-denounces-clumsy-and-cowardly-boris-johnson-comments
One thing that’s become apparent recently is that the Government has been trying to shift the blame for the pandemic in care homes onto care homes themselves, and by implication those living and working in them. That strategy is clear from Boris Johnson’s statement, the other day, that care homes “didn’t really follow the procedures”. Yet as my lawyers explain in my claim:
(1) Care homes were being told specifically, until mid-March, that there was “no need to do anything differently”: see paragraphs 53 and 54 of my claim. So until mid-March, at least, there weren’t any procedures for care homes to follow, because Boris Johnson’s government was telling them to carry on with business as usual.
(2) Care homes were forced, throughout March and for much of April, to take in patients who had just been discharged from hospital and who had not been tested for Covid-19: see paragraphs 70 - 78 of my claim. There are even stories of hospitals, in following the Government’s instruction to discharge as many patients as possible, trying to trick care homes into taking them: see paragraphs 92 and 94 of my claim.
(3) On 2 April the Government published guidance saying among other things that “care home staff who come into contact with a COVID-19 patient while not wearing PPE can remain at work”: see paragraphs 84 - 87 of my claim. This guidance was immediately questioned by industry bodies as being unsafe, which it clearly was: see paragraph 87 of my claim. So it appears that it was the Government, not care homes, who did not know what it was doing.
Misleading statement #2: “nobody knew early on” about asymptomatic transmission https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-care-home-deaths-coronavirus-apology-a9607691.html
Another tack the Government has adopted, to shift the blame, is to argue that it simply didn’t know, when formulating its policies on care homes, that Covid-19 could be transmitted asymptomatically.
But this, too, is wrong. As my claim makes clear, the Government’s own advisory group warned as early as January 2020 that the virus could be transmitted by asymptomatic patients: see paragraph 40 of my claim. This fact was made clear to the Government on numerous other occasions early in the pandemic: see paragraphs 44, 45, 69 and 73 of my claim for what the Government knew about asymptomatic transmission as early as February and March. Not only that, asymptomatic transmission of viruses is well known and should have been accounted for.
The Government’s consistent failure to tell the truth
Boris Johnson’s recent statements follow this Government’s consistent efforts to mislead the public over how it has handled the pandemic. In earlier false claims, the Government alleged that “right from the start” of the pandemic it had “thrown a protective ring” around care homes, and that it had brought in the lockdown in care homes ahead of the general lockdown. Both of these statements, too, appear to be untrue: see paragraphs 118, 145-146, 150 and 220-221 of my claim.
In the face of a Government determined to lie and obfuscate rather than face up to its failings, I will continue to fight for justice for my father and the thousands like him who have died, unnecessarily, in care homes in the course of this pandemic. I will continue to update this page as the case develops. Thank you to all who have donated or been following the case so far, and please do continue to spread the word.
June 22, 2020
Inadequate response from government
I have now heard back from the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care; Public Health England and NHS England. Surprisingly, there is no acknowledgment of any responsibility, nor is there any explanation as to why hospitals were advised to discharge patients into care homes without testing or measures to protect vulnerable residents. My solicitors requested an explanation as to what policies were actually put in place to ensure “a protective ring” was cast around care homes right from the start, as Matt Hancock has alleged. The Department of Health and Social Care completely failed to answer that question and refused to provide any documents to explain what was done and why. They have simply asserted that they took unspecified “extensive measures to protect the people who live and work in care homes in response to the risks posed by COVID-19”.
The defendants have failed to engage with my concerns, failed to disclose relevant documents and have sought to hide behind procedural objections. They dispute that I have legal standing to bring my claim, argue that the claim is brought too late and – most surprisingly of all – assert that it is not in the public interest for my claim to be heard.
This is a shameful reply when thousands of very vulnerable people have lost their lives, leaving me and many others bereaved. I have therefore instructed my solicitors to proceed with the litigation. I am bringing this case now so that the plight of residents and staff in care homes is not allowed to be given low priority again.
I am very grateful for the many messages of support that I have received from the public as well as the moving accounts of so many who have lost loved ones. The public has generously given to this case. We have only just begun and my legal team are now urgently building the case. I am taking on the Government, who seem determined to avoid responsibility. Please continue to donate and share the details with as many people as you can.
There are no public comments on this case page.