We – the Justice Alliance and Justice Gap – are putting together a one-off publication telling the definitive story of legal aid...
We – the Justice Alliance and Justice Gap – are putting together a one-off publication telling the definitive story of legal aid featuring the best, original and most exciting writing about access to justice.
Our magazine is aimed at the public and explains why legal aid matters and why we need to fight NOW for properly public funded access to justice.
We are asking for you to help make this magazine a reality!
Our magazine will be aimed at the public - and will be launched at a series of events around the country.
Lawyers and those working in the advice sector understand the devastating impact of the April 2013 legal aid cuts and the recent attacks on the defence profession. But we need to keep the pressure on. We need to get the message out to the public about what access to justice really means.
- Reports from the frontline: the first section of the magazine will comprise a series of articles documenting the impact of the legal aid cuts from the perspective of ordinary people denied access to justice;
- The fight back: the middle section will look at the evolution of the legal aid scheme from the Attlee government to the present day; exploring the impact of the April 2013 LASPO cuts; the reforms to the defence profession; plus the challenges to come.
- 'The forgotten pillar of the welfare state': the final section will feature the relationship between legal aid and the rest of the welfare state, and the relationship between legal aid lawyers and public sector workers.
What we need funding for
We have some high profile contributors lined up, to contribute for free. The Proof team is putting this together pro bono but we have some production costs including a world class designer (Andrew Stocks) and brilliant journalist to report from the frontline about the impact of the cuts (Rebecca Ominora-Oyekanmi), and the costs of the print run.
We're offering rewards – namely, a copy of the magazine, or ad space in the magazine, to those donating £25 and above. See the donation buttons for more information.
If your pledge entitles you to a copy of the magazine, you'll need to pick it up at one of our launch events.
More about us
The Proof team comprises Jon Robins, editor of the Justice Gap and Brian Thornton (editors); Matt Foot and Rhona Friedman are commissioning editors. Andrew Stocks (designer); Andy Aitchison (photographer).
About the claimant
We are Matt Foot and Rhona Friedman of the Justice Alliance and Jon Robins of the Justice Gap. The JA is an alliance of legal groups, charities, community groups, grass roots and other campaigning groups, trade unions and individuals who are united in our opposition to recent attacks on legal aid and the justice system. The JG is an online magazine about the law and justice aimed at the public and run by journalists.
- We need to take the fight to save legal aid to the public!
- We need to give a voice to ordinary people denied access to justice.
- Support us to put together a compelling and definitive account of the role of legal aid in our society & why we need a properly publicly funded legal system.
Get updates about this case
Subscribe to receive email updates from the case owner on the latest news about the case.
Be a promoter
Your share on Facebook could raise £26 for the caseI'll share on Facebook
We hit our first target!
There are no public comments on this case page.